Small group Catacombs, Capuchin Crypt and San Clemente tour
During this tour you’ll visit one of the famous Roman catacombs, you will see the Capuchin Crypt and one among the most interesting churches of Rome - San Clemente. All this in comfort as you’ll travel by minivan and in company of one of our expert guides. - LIMITED TO 7 PEOPLE PER MINIVANBOOK NOW
Highlights and what's included
- Local expert English-speaking tour guide for 3 hours
- Air-conditioned Minivan & Driver for 2 hours
- entrance fees to the Catacombs of Domitilla and San Clemente church
- Maximum of 7 people per minivan
Intimate and informative small group Rome tour will begin with the visit of the Capuchin Crypt, known also as the The Crypt of the Bones, located under the Santa Maria della Concezione church which was built in the early XVII century. Consisting of five successive chambers it is likely to leave a lasting impression on you. The Crypt in the past centuries used to be a burial place of the monks and the chambers are decorated in patterns constructed entirely of bones of around 4000 monks!
The next stop will feature the Catacomb of Domitilla which extends largely along the ancient Via Ardeatina road and is one of the largest catacaombs in Rome, more than 17 km long. It is the only Catacomb in Rome open to the public that has an underground Basilica open to the pilgrims.
One of the highlights of this tour is entering the warren-like structure of chambers and narrow passageways to explore these ancient Christian burial grounds. During a fascinating tour of Rome's original Catacombs learn about the role that the Catacombs played during the times of religious persecution, along with other details and information that have been discovered during recent excavations of the site.
The tour will now continue with the magnificent church of San Clemente, where you'll enjoy a journey back in time as you descend down three levels and through two thousand years of history.
The medieval church was built over the remains of a 4th century Basilica which covers older buildings from the time of the Emperor Nero and a sanctuary dedicated to the oriental divinity Mithras. The medieval basilica houses one of the finest mosaics from that time, representing the Tree of Life: over a golden background a cross as a tree of life spreads its branches to give life and sustenance to man.
The Catacombs & Underground Rome tour finishes at St Clemente Church, a five-minute walk from the Colosseum and Metropolitana railway station.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Catacombs of Domitilla are closed on Tuesdays - on that day the tour will feature the Catacombs of San Callisto instead.
- NOT INCLUDED: entrance fees to the Crypt of Capuchin EUR 8.50 per person to be paid on the spot
Tour starts from Fontana del Tritone fountain in Piazza Barberini square where you will find our guide holding a board with tour name written on it
- This tour is of a historical area and is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- DRESS CODE: Shoulders and knees must be covered to enter any religious place of worship
- Please wear comfortable footwear as this tour involves walking.
- The cost of the tour does not include hotel pick up and drop off
- At times, Museums and archeological sites close without notice. No refunds are available as these events are beyond our control.
- Important: Catacombs of Domitilla are closed on Tuesdays - on that day the tour will feature the Catacombs of San Callisto instead
- Tour operates with a minimum of 4 participants
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking (children who are under 36 kg/97 pounds or 150 cm/4ft 9 in must use proper child restraints). We reserve the right to refuse infants or children if we are not notified at the time of the booking and if the car seats brought do not comply with requirements by Italian law.
- Prices from: 85.00
- Duration: 3 hours
- Availability: View Calendar